Boomtrain Marketing Engine lets you set up triggered emails to automatically send to your customers and visitors. This article will walk you through the steps.
- Navigate to Campaigns > Compose Message > Triggered Campaign.
- Choose the Email channel.
- Name your campaign.
- Select a trigger – choose between a user activity, user behavior, or a segment entry/exit. Add optional filter criteria to include or exclude certain segments and/or target users with certain properties.
- Choose whether to trigger the message to all who meet the trigger condition. To test emails before setting up a triggered email, you can send it to yourself or your colleagues by clicking the ‘Preview and Test’ button.
- Choose your ‘From’ email address – likely your company address.
- Compose your message – Add subject line and content in the body of the email. You can copy and paste an HTML designed email or use the Advanced Editor. For any activities and user properties you are passing through BME, you can customize the content by adding Liquid Tags to create a highly personalized message.
- Customize delivery settings to set Schedule, Frequency & Tracking for the campaign
- Review your message
- Click on ‘Activate’ or ‘Save as Draft’
Triggered Campaigns: Liquid Tags
BME tracks both customer properties and customer activities for your business. Apart from customer properties that BME inherently tracks and ones that your business adds, each customer activity also has properties associated with it.
Both user properties and activity properties can be inserted as ‘Attributes’ to any email message you choose to send to customers. This makes your message highly personal and scalable in nature and is one of the key features that can be used for higher engagement.
For more information about how to create, set, and utilize liquid tags, reach out to your Boomtrain Customer Success team at [email protected].
Delivery Settings: Schedule, Frequency & Tracking
Scheduling your messages ensure that they reach your customers within a specific window and is based on when the ‘trigger’ happens and/or a simple date and time.
Choose between sending the message immediately or X days/hours after a customer qualifies for the specific trigger i.e. when a customer has exhibited a particular activity, behavior, segment entry or exit
The activity property based scheduling works well for situations when date based scheduling is critical such as for hotel bookings, plan upgrade reminders etc.
Always choose to add a delivery window to ensure your messages do not go out at odd hours and disturb your customers.[Note: Message delivery times are determined by your website’s or app’s time zone and will differ if your customers are spread over various time zones. To accommodate this, you can duplicate your triggered messages and schedule them for different time zones.]
Another handy feature on the BME platform is the frequency setting. As your customer profiles build and you create segments for various messages, you will find that some of your customers are part of multiple segments. For example a customer could be part of 10-15 segments such as ‘New’, ‘Active’, New York’, ‘Male’, ‘Highly Engaged’, ‘Ready To Upgrade’, ‘VIP Customer’, ‘Used Key Features’, ‘iOS users’, ‘Feedback Group’ etc.
If you have set up multiple triggered messages on the BME platform, you might run the risk of sending multiple messages to the same customer. To avoid frustrating customers and to maintain a good domain reputation, you can use the frequency settings to ensure you don’t end up spamming them.
Choose how often you need to trigger a message to your customers by selecting between:
- Every time the user qualifies
- Not more than X times between 1-90 days or lifetime