Manually uploading users on Boomtrain Marketing Engine (BME) is a simple process. All you need is a well formatted CSV file that has the required email/userID field and optional attributes.
Formatting the CSV
Columns with the following header names will be automatically identified. You may notice that your own headers get renamed to these default values (e.g. email_address becomes email). Other header names will be uploaded as additional user data:
- email (required): Must be included in order to send communication to the user. Will serve as user_id when that value is not provided.
- user_id (recommended): This is used to identify individual users. If you don’t include a user_id column, the email column will be used for both email and user_id. You can also use a unique value here, preferably an account member ID from your site.
- first_name: This is treated as the first name of the user record and can be used to personalize messages.
- last_name: This is treated as the last name of the user record and can be used to personalize messages.
- phone: This is treated as phone number of the user record and is used for all communications intended on SMS channel. We strongly recommend E.164 number formatting: [+][country code][subscriber number including area code].
- signed_up_at: This is treated as the date when user signed up with your business. We recommend YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss format.
In this example CSV, gender and location are optional columns. You can add any columns that are pertinent to your user data. These values can also be utilized to segment your users later.
|[email protected]||John||Doe||2015-05-31 22:34:00||Male||New York|
|[email protected]||Jane||Doe||2015-03-25 13:10:00||Female||Los Angeles|
|[email protected]||Keith||Britton||2015-12-23 20:35:00||Male||Texas|
|[email protected]||Wendell||Boling||2015-06-13 10:22:00||Female||California|
In this case, the email column will automatically be recognized as both email address and user ID by the BME uploader tool.
Save your CSV file as MS-DOS comma separated (.csv). This ensures BME will recognize your file properly, regardless of what browser you use.
Uploading the CSV
- From the BME Dashboard, navigate to Users > Upload.
- Click to upload or drag-and-drop your formatted CSV file.
- You must now verify the data that is automatically detected. If it looks correct, click ‘Looks good’. If a correction is needed, click ‘I’ll identify manually’. To scroll right or left to see additional columns, click the arrows.
- You can create a new segment to group your list or add them to an existing one. Segmentation is optional, and we recommend segmenting users based on dynamic filters instead of segmenting here. Choose ‘Continue without creating or updating a segment’ and click ‘Next’.
- The upload begins. You can see the count of new users and updated users increase. When the progress bar reaches 100%, click ‘Take me to the app’ to view your uploaded users. You can also upload an additional file.